[Live-devel] how to send RTX header extension?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Nov 3 22:12:35 PST 2009

>I have  RTPSink class that inherits from the MultiFramedRTPSink
>class, and I implemented the following two virtual functions:
>-          doSpecialFrameHandling() - it adds words to the special
>header (which I understood it is the RTP header extension)

Actually, no.  The "special header" here is a payload-format-specific
header that appears at the start of the RTP payload.  It is *not* the
"RTP header extension".  We currently don't implement this.

>the first problem I have is that I didn't find any section of the
>code that turns on the 'header extension exists' bit in the RTP
>header. I added it manually in buildAndSendPacket() function.

Yes, for now you will need to modify the code to support (sending and
receiving the RTP header extension, because we don't yet support it
in the supplied code.

>  The second problem I have is that now that the packets are sent
>with the extension (according to a network sniffer), the VLC player
>displays bad video.

I don't know why this would happen, because VLC uses our code to
receive RTP packets, and our code simply ignores (i.e, skips over)
RTP header extensions.