[Live-devel] ONVIF support in Live555

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Oct 6 17:53:07 PDT 2009

>1) Do you plan to support ONVIF RTP/RTSP enhancements in live555
>liveMedia libraries in the close future?

I'll support this only if it ends up being adopted by the IETF (the
organization that standardizes RTP payload formats and header
extensions).  In particular, "ONVIF" will need to persuade the IETF
(in particular, the IETF's AVT working group) that the right way to
support 'enhanced' JPEG-over-RTP is via a RTP header extension using
the existing RFC 2435 payload format, rather than adopting a new RTP
payload format for JPEG-over-RTP.

>Particularly, do you plan to support JPEG over RTP enhanced headers?

Someday we will support RTP header extensions (though not necessarily
this particular application of them (see above)).

More generally, though, I'm curious about why people are still
interested in JPEG-over-RTP, especially with very large JPEG images.
JPEG is a *terrible* codec to use for video; it doesn't have any of
the inter-frame prediction/compression features that real video
codecs have.