[Live-devel] Too many buffered packets

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Oct 24 02:47:59 PDT 2009

>Hi,
>Today I cam across an issue where the source was seemingly buffering
>up thousands of packets.  I got a crash in my client which after
>looking at the backtrace could be to do with a memory / stack issue.
> Basically I found a backtrace that was 16 *thousand* frames long.
> It seems that there were thousands of buffered packets in the
>linked list for some reason.  When I called pause, it called
>MultiFramedRTPSource::reset which deleted the buffers in the linked
>list.
>
>I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what caused this
>and how I could fix it.

This is strange.  The only possible explanation I can think of right
now is that perhaps you accidentally called
"MultiFramedRTPSource::setPacketReorderingThresholdTime()" with an
inappropriately large threshold parameter, so that you're waiting too
long for the arrival of an out-of-order packet that turns out to have
been lost instead.