[Live-devel] Too many buffered packets

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Oct 24 16:41:03 PDT 2009

>I checked my code, and I set the threshold to be 100,000 (100ms) -
>which I deemed to be an appropriate number.  Do you disagree?

No, that's fine.  In fact, that's the default value.

>One thing I did notice is that my client code could sometimes block
>processing of the incoming data.

That shouldn't be a problem.  The "MultiFramedRTPSource" code reads
incoming network packets only when initiated by the downstream
reader.  If the downstream reader (for whatever reason) stops calling
"getNextFrame()", then incoming packets are buffered inside the OS,
not in our code.

But in any case, the "packetReorderingBuffer" gets filled in only
when there is a lost packet, and then only up until the threshold
time (100ms).  How many network packets do you expect to see arriving
in 100ms?  That's the maximum number of packets that you should ever
see in that buffer.