[Live-devel] strstream.h

Jeremy Noring kidjan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 10:21:32 PDT 2009

We ran into some compile errors for "strstrea.h", did a bit of research and
ended up making this change in both Groupsock.cpp and NetInterface.cpp:

#ifndef NO_STRSTREAM
#if (defined(_*WIN32__) || defined(_WIN32)) && !defined(__MINGW32__)
#include <sstream>
#else
#if defined(__GNUC__) && (__GNUC_* > 3 || *_GNUC_* == 3 && *_GNUC_MINOR_* >
0)
#include <sstream>
#else
#include <strstream.h>
#endif
#endif
#endif

sstream is the preferred choice.  strstrea.h and strstream.h are both
deprecated (the former is no longer present in VS 2008 distributions, for
example).  We did some testing using just sstream and found that it worked
for us on both our windows builds and linux builds.  I see there was some
talk in the mailing list about changing this ~5 years ago, but I think it
might be safe to finally kick strstrea.h in the face.

We tested this change on our Windows, Linux and embedded Linux builds, and
it seems to work well, but as always I'm not sure how much variety there is
in people's build environments.