[Live-devel] "GET_PARAMETER" as a client 'liveness' indicator

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Apr 27 00:23:05 PDT 2010

>I read that openRTSP can send GET_PARAMETER as keepAlive (or client
>liveness indicator) but nothing in the source code show that (in
>RTSPClient.cpp).

Not true.  The "RTSPClient" class supports sending the
"GET_PARAMETER" command, using the "getMediaSessionParameter()"
member function.  (However, our "openRTSP" demo application does not
use this.)

>  During our session, the timeout is sent by the video server in the
>RTSP SETUP response and catched by openRTSP, but nothing append then
>when the time expired.
>
>Why no behavior has been developped ?
>
>Is there any player that can be able to send GET_PARAMETER in place
>of RTCP "RR" packet ?

I believe that the "VLC" media player will send a periodic
"GET_PARAMETER" RTSP command (*as well as* sending RTCP "RR" packets,
which is the proper, standard way in which a client indicates
liveness) if the server responds with a "timeout=" parameter.