[Live-devel] need H264 RTP streaming tutorial

Jeremy Noring jnoring at logitech.com
Fri Apr 30 10:38:48 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Charlie X. Liu <charlie at sensoray.com>wrote:

> http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/12/4/2210768/live555_H.264_tutorial.tar.gz

That tutorial is wrong in so many ways, and personally cost me a good month
or two of banging my head against the wall.

Worst of all:

    // Create an 'H264 Video RTP' sink from the RTP 'groupsock':
    mVideoSenderSink = H264VideoRTPSink::createNew(*mEnv, mRtpGroupsock, 96,
0, "h264");

...that last parameter?  It's supposed to be SPS/PPS, base-64 encoded and
comma delimited.  "h264" is _completely_ wrong.  This is probably fine code
if your target is VLC, but any standards-based player will probably puke
trying to read this stream (as it should, it's totally bogus).

Also, the code doesn't check to make sure the NALU start codes (i.e.
0x000001 or 0x00000001) are stripped off before being sent--also invalid.
Lastly, SPS/PPS info should not be sent in-stream; it is better to
explicitly strip it out--I check NALU header info and simply discard those
entirely (it's already in the SDP exchange, no need to send it in-stream).