[Live-devel] Decoding h264 from an RTSP stream

Pushkar Pradhan pushkar at ipvideosys.com
Sat Aug 21 12:33:35 PDT 2010

________________________________

From: live-devel-bounces at ns.live555.com on behalf of Estelle W. Paus
Sent: Fri 8/20/2010 5:36 PM
To: live-devel at ns.live555.com
Subject: [Live-devel] Decoding h264 from an RTSP stream

Pushkar,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I've identified the code you're talking about in H264VideoFileSink, but at what point in the processing is this done.  I was using mplayer as a guide to what needs to be done.  But, mplayer doesn't use any of those Livee555 classes like H264VideoFileSink.  So, I'm having problems figureing out how it all fits together.

Using live555 classes I've sort of traced what's going on through getting a MediaSession.  Then it all falls apart.  I don't know where Sink fits in, though I suspect it's sometime before decoding starts.

Could you fill in some of the high level (pseudo code) steps between initializing subsessions and rtpCodecInitialize_video?

Does what I'm writing even make sense? Oh dear.

Thanks,
Estelle

Estelle,
This processing is done when you receive the complete frame/NALU. Please compile and follow the openRTSP program to understand how RTP packets are processed in livemedia stack. Basically on the receiver side the liveMedia stack assembles complete frames/(NALUs in case of H.264) from the RTP data and delivers it to you in your sink. Here you can do whatever you want with it like record it to a file or decode it.
I also suggest you read the liveMedia online documentation and FAQ. You need to understand the concept of sources and sinks. It has a good explanation of how data flows in the stack.
pushkar