[Live-devel] From UDP Raw to RTSP

snipefoo at free.fr snipefoo at free.fr
Mon Aug 23 04:58:06 PDT 2010

Hi,

I need to stream in RTSP a media received by UDP Raw. I receive IPTV via
multicast UDP (MPEG2 and h264) but I need a RTSP source to allow softwares like
Eye TV to play IPTV. For those who know Freebox: I try to emulate a Freebox.

I tried VLC and get some interesting results (using VLM) but now, I need to
embed this solution into a router (running DD-WRT); VLC is not a good choice as
it needs to many resources to run.

So I think about writing a simple program doing only one thing : receive an UDP
Raw stream and send it back as RTSP.

I need to stream multiple channels, eg:
rtsp://mybox/Channel_1 = udp://225.1.1.1
rtsp://mybox/Channel_2 = udp://225.1.1.2

As many demo progs nearly do what I need, I think it would not be too
complicated to do that with LIVE555 Streaming Media library. But do you think it
won't need too much cpu and/or memory to run on light hardware. I don't know
what it represent to convert Raw UDP into RTP; is it the same format ? What is
the best way to implement the multiple channels (is there such a mechanism in
the library) ?

Have you some advices for me ?

Thank a lot.
Best Regards