[Live-devel] cross compiled Live555 libs

Yuri Timenkov yuri.timenkov at itv.ru
Tue Dec 14 02:00:49 PST 2010

Hi,

You should know that VC and MinGW use incompatible library format.
FFMpeg is C library this allows interoperability between VC and MinGW
(as it is with kernel32.dll and ntdll.dll). Moreover AFAIK FFMpeg
doesn't support VC (neither has plans to).

With C++ things different. As I mentioned, there is a lot of thing to
take care of (name mangling, vtables, templates, inlines, exceptions and
etc.), and there is a big chance that C++ objects built with different
compilers will crash if used in same binary. To prevent this (along with
other reasons) MinGW and VC use different mangling schemes. Even if they
had same library format (or if you built a dll and generate exports from
it) you can't link VC app with MinGW liveMedia.

So if you want to build app in VC and link it with liveMedia, you should
build liveMedia also with VC. Or you may just add all liveMedia files
into your App's project or solution.

Recently there was discussion to move liveMedia to CMake to allow
generating native build systems on different platforms, but this
initiative is now suspended (as I suppose there are not so many people
interested in it).

Regards,
Yuri