[Live-devel] Axis RTSP Relay

Bryan Thrasher bryan at smirklive.com
Mon Jul 5 01:35:55 PDT 2010

Hi All,

I have an Axis M1011 (runs linux, the chipset is ARTPEC-3 or ARTPEC-B, I am
getting dev documentation on it) cameras that have an rtsp server.  They can
stream h.264 when a client requests it.  I also have a Wowza Server that can
issue the request and restream to various clients as well as record.  The
problem is NAT traversal.  The Wowza server needs a port open on the router
for the network where the cameras reside so that it can issue it's
connection request.  Wowza can also listen for RTSP connections and then
restream.  The examples I have are using VLC as the server to send to Wowza.

What I would like to do is both of the following:

1)      Run a program on the M1011 that will "restream" to the Wowza Server
acting as a client.

a.       It will either pull directly from the h.264 encoder or from the
rtsp server built into the camera and send to Wowza.

b.      It would need to initiate the connection to Wowza on start up

c.       It would need to recover the connection if it dropped.

2)      Run a program on a Linux PC on the same network as the cameras.

a.       It will pull from each camera and send to Wowza.

b.      It would also record the streams.

c.       It would need to have some sort of way to send recordings to the
Wowza server on-demand.  Maybe there would be a program that would poll the
server every so often looking to see if a recording was needed.

It seems like a combination of LIVE555 Media Server and openRTSP could work
assuming they can be wired together, sort of in reverse.

It may also make sense to use LIVE555 Media Server instead of Wowza.  Can it
stream to iPhone?

Has anyone done this or would anyone be interested in taking this on?

Thanks,

Bryan Thrasher

404-849-4063