[Live-devel] Axis RTSP Relay

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jul 5 19:16:33 PDT 2010

>What I would like to do is both of the following:
>1)      Run a program on the M1011 that will "restream" to the Wowza
>Server acting as a client.
>a.       It will either pull directly from the h.264 encoder or from
>the rtsp server built into the camera and send to Wowza.
>b.      It would need to initiate the connection to Wowza on start up
>c.       It would need to recover the connection if it dropped.
>2)      Run a program on a Linux PC on the same network as the cameras.
>a.       It will pull from each camera and send to Wowza.
>b.      It would also record the streams.
>c.       It would need to have some sort of way to send recordings
>to the Wowza server on-demand.  Maybe there would be a program that
>would poll the server every so often looking to see if a recording
>was needed.
>
>It seems like a combination of LIVE555 Media Server and openRTSP
>could work assuming they can be wired together, sort of in reverse.

I don't know what protocol(s) the 'Wowza' server uses to receive
incoming streams (that it then re-streams to clients, as a server),
but if it uses the same protocol that Apple 'Darwin Streaming Server'
uses, then you may be able to use our "DarwinInjector" class.

(For two example applications that use this class, see the code for
"testMPEG1or2AudioVideoToDarwin" and "testMPEG4VideoToDarwin")

>  It may also make sense to use LIVE555 Media Server instead of
>Wowza.  Can it stream to iPhone?

Not at present, because the iPhone doesn't use RTSP/RTP.  Instead, it
uses Apple's "HTTP live streaming protocol".  I have thought about
possibly supporting this as an option in our server, but right now
it's just a thought (there are so many other things on my plate).