[Live-devel] RTP packet lost whenLive555MediaServerstreamsforward Dektec DTE3114

Paul Corke Paul.Corke at datatote.co.uk
Thu Jul 15 02:14:59 PDT 2010

On 14 July 2010 17:50, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> > At last, I found how to do, I reduced MAX_PLAYOUT_BUFFER_DURATION
> > from 0.1 to 0.001 second and it works fine.
>
> The current value (0.1 seconds, i.e., 100 ms) has been in place since
> November 2005, and (as far as I know) has worked fine for everyone
> since then.

It doesn't work for me, I'm using:

  #define NEW_DURATION_WEIGHT 0.05

  #define MAX_PLAYOUT_BUFFER_DURATION 0.25 // (seconds)

Because we were seeing (sometimes) some packets being sent out too
late.  I think this was because not every packet has a PCR value
on it, so the fTSPacketDurationEstimate was going wrong quickly.
Part of the solution was to increase the MAX_PLAY_BUF_DUR so that
the STB had a larger buffer to work around the resulting jitter.

As we patch the library anyway (yes I'm aware of the "don't do
it" rule) it wouldn't really affect us, but I thought I'd mention
that 0.1 doesn't work for everyone.

Paul.