[Live-devel] Seg Fault on VLC 1.1.0 Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Jul 18 06:25:49 PDT 2010

>I just recompiled the latest stable vlc, x264 from the repo and the
>ffmpeg snapshot. When I shut down the recording of vlc I'm gettting
>segfaults that are tracing back to the live555 lib installed.
>
>http://pastebin.com/YE0b6ftg

Thanks for the report.  Unfortunately it wasn't clear from the report
exactly where the segmentation fault was happening in the
"MediaSubsession::getNormalPlayTime()" function, and an inspection of
the code suggests that this probably should not be happening *unless*
it is being called on a "MediaSubsession" object pointer that has
already been deleted (or is NULL).  The fact that this error is
occurring when you shut down VLC adds support to this.

Therefore, my current suspicion is that the problem is not in our
library, but instead in the VLC code ("modules_demux_live555.cpp")
that is calling our library.  I suggest that you contact the VLC
developers (on a VLC mailing list), telling them about your segfault,
and asking them it it's possible that
"tk->sub->getNormalPlayTime(pts)" (in "modules_demux_live555.cpp")
could be getting called on after "tk->sub" has already been deleted.