[Live-devel] Slow-forward or frame-by-frame streaming of MPEG2 video from live555 to VLC

Ilya Kogan ilya.kogan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 02:07:58 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to stream MPEG-2 in slow motion and it doesn't work exactly as
expected.
My goal is to stream a 29.97-fps video stream 30 times slower, so that the
VLC client will show one frame per second. What I see instead is 1 frame per
3 seconds, two thirds of the frames are skipped. My guess is that I only see
the P-frames, and I don't see the B-frames, although they are transmitted.
In order to achieve the slow motion effect, I changed the frame rate of
MPEG1or2VideoStreamFramer from 29.97 to 1. The presentation time is computed
accordingly, and so the sink requests one frame per second - which is
exactly what I need. When I look at the stream in Wireshark, I see that
indeed all frames are transmitted - one per second. But it seems that VLC
just ignores the B-frames and only shows one frame every 3 seconds.

Should I modify anything in one of the MPEG-2 headers in order to enable
this feature?

I'll be very grateful if you could give me some pointers.

Ilya