[Live-devel] ONVIF/PSIA compliance

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jul 27 18:57:18 PDT 2010

>Is Live555 compliant with ONVIF and PSIA?

To be honest, I hadn't heard of either of these things until you
mentioned them.

The standards body that defines Internet Standard protocols for video
streaming is the IETF, and it is those standards that we (at least
attempt to) follow.

I don't know how these other "Industry Forums" relate to the IETF
standard protocols, but (IMHO) these organizations usually exist in
order to try to gain a competitive advantage over a dominant or
threatening rival.

Finlayson's Law of Industry Forums: To discover the real purpose of
an 'Industry Forum', look at its membership list, and note which
major player in the industry is *not* present.

Often these organizations 'pick and choose' from IETF standards that
suit them, but sometimes they add custom extensions, in which case we
probably don't support them.

But again, I don't know anything about these organizations (and I
don't really have the time to research them right now), so I really
can't say for sure.