[Live-devel] Live streaming mpeg1or2

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 14 21:44:31 PDT 2010

>(I'm a bit confused as to how I should use the
>fDurationInMicroseconds and fPresentationTime because the images do
>not occur at regular time intervals).

Because your data is coming from a live source (rather than a file,
for example), you can probably omit setting
"fDurationInMicroseconds".  (That variable just tells the downstream
"RTPSink" object how long to wait after sending each packet before
looking for new incoming data; if you don't set it, the "RTPSink"
object will look for new incoming data immediately after sending each
packet.  For a live data source, like yours, that is OK.)

However, you need to set "fPresentationTime" properly for each frame
of data.  The easiest way to do this is just to call "gettimeofday()"
when you get each frame.

I also suggest that you test your server using the "openRTSP" client
application first - before using VLC.  (This is because "openRTSP" -
unlike VLC - does not care about the presentation times on incoming
data.)