[Live-devel] (no subject)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 16 03:23:50 PDT 2010

>My basic question is whether it is sufficient to test if openRTSP
>can connect to my IP-camera to be able to say that Live555 supports
>my device and I can go on working with it.

Yes, with the caveat that "openRTSP" does not care about the
"presentation times" of each received frame.  Therefore, it's
possible - if the stream's "presentation times" are somehow bad -
that "openRTSP"  will receive your stream OK, but a media player may
not.

>Additionally what I've noticed during my testing is that openRTSP
>seems not to be able to connect to a VLC streaming server (it says
>"Failed to setup  subsession: Missing or bad "Transport:" header"),
>obviously openRTSP and VLC are not compatible (using ffmpeg as
>client works fine) but how can this be since both are based on the
>same library?

VLC uses the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code only when it is acting as
a RTSP *client*.  When VLC acts as a RTSP *server*, however, it uses
a different RTSP implementation.

It appears that some recent versions of VLC have changed the way that
they send "Transport:" headers in the response to RTSP "SETUP"
commands - in a way which our RTSP client code did not handle
properly.

I have now installed a new version (2010.06.16a) of the "LIVE555
Streaming Media" code that should fix this problem.  Please download
and use this instead for your testing.

>In a further step I will need the decoded frames as arrays of rgb or
>grayscale values, is this possible with Live555? The website says
>some video processing is supported.

No, I don't know where you got that impression.  Our software does
not do any video decoding (or other video processing).  You will need
to do that yourself.