[Live-devel] How to contribute code?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 21 19:50:01 PDT 2010

I don't use any revision control system myself.  When I'm developing
this code, I use exactly two commands: "emacs" and "make".

Each source code release - in "tar.gz" form - is less than 500 kBytes
in size.  These days, that's not a significant amount of data to
download in order to get the latest revision, and any bandwidth
savings obtained by downloading from a revision control system
instead would be insignificant.  And people should not be using any
version of the code other than the latest one, because that's all
that we support.

I suspect that the real reason why some people want to use a revision
control system is that they want to easily update to the latest
version of the code after they've made custom modifications to it
(i.e., without losing their modifications).  I'm sorry, but this is
something that I explicitly want to discourage.  People *should not*
be making modifications to the released "LIVE555 Streaming Media"
code (i.e., inside the "live" directory).  Instead, they should be
leaving that directory as it is, and instead putting their own code
in a separate directory (using subclassing, if necessary).

If there are parts of the code that make it difficult for people to
customize via subclassing - e.g., some class members that should be
"protected:" instead of "private:", then please let us know.