[Live-devel] RTP over TCP problem in the latest version of library

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jun 25 07:39:56 PDT 2010

>I have a few problems. I downloaded the latest version of LiveMedia
>library 2010.06.22 and RTPoverTCP streaming ( RTSPClient ) suddenly
>stopped working. In the previous version I tested - 2010.06.11
>everything was working ok.

Please send us the (publically-accessible) "rtsp://" URL of a server
that illustrates this problem.  (Recent changes to the RTP-over-TCP
implementation actually *fixed* some bugs, so it's a bit surprising
to hear that bugs might have been introduced here.)

>Wireshark log shows that RTSPClient sends some commands my cameras
>don't recognize, RTCP packets probably, and they return RTSP/1.0
>RTSP 505 Version not supported in response, but it is exactly how it
>worked in the previous version - and there was no problem. Is there
>a simple way to turn off RTCP in RTCPClient ?

No.  RTCP is a mandatory part of the RTP/RTCP standard.  If your
server (camera) is not recognizing incoming RTCP packets, then it's
not standards-compliant.  (If, however, your server is returning a
RTSP error response each time it receives such a packet, then it's
conceivable that this might be confusing the current RTSPClient
implementation, in which case we'll take a look at this.  But again,
please send us the (publically-accessible) "rtsp://" URL of a server
that illustrates this problem.)

>  By the way, is TCP using some blocking calls ?

Not anymore!  This was fixed in the recent reimplementation of "RTSPClient".

>And the last issue not related to TCP. Many network cameras announce
>their SDP session with c=IN IP 0.0.0.0 ( they have no separated SDP
>description  for multicast sessions ) . Is there a way to enforce
>multicast on such connections ? It worked in the previous versions,
>but now it doesn't. I think it was usable feauture, so maybe there
>is a chance to add it to the latest version ...

Are you referring to the "forceMulticastOnUnspecified" Boolean flag
in "RTSPClient:: setupMediaSubsession()"?  Do you set this flag to
True in your client application?

I deliberately disabled this functionality in the latest "RTSPClient"
implementation, because I wanted to see if anyone still used it and
wanted it.  If it is still being used, then I'll re-enable it in the
next release of the software.