[Live-devel] JPEG file over RTP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 28 22:28:56 PDT 2010

>The problem is that when I come to decode the stream in VLC the
>image is far blockier than the original.  Why is this?  What am I
>doing wrong?

I don't know, in part because you're missing some details about your
implementation.  In particular, you didn't say anything about your
implementation of the following pure virtual functions defined for
"JPEGVideoSource":
	virtual u_int8_t type() = 0;
	virtual u_int8_t qFactor() = 0;
	virtual u_int8_t width() = 0; // # pixels/8 (or 0 for 2048 pixels)
	virtual u_int8_t height() = 0; // # pixels/8 (or 0 for 2048 pixels)

In any case, though, I suggest that - if possible - you test your
system first by receiving data into a file (by connecting a
"JPEGVideoRTPSource" to a "FileSink"), and looking at the resulting
data using a JPEG image viewer (rather than a media player like VLC).
If your server implements RTSP, then this is easy: Just run
"openRTSP" with the "-m" option.