[Live-devel] UDP RTSP media session expires

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Mar 18 18:29:27 PDT 2010

>I use live555 RTSP-client to receive video-audio via UDP from NVC
>Encoder (vendor - UDPTechnology). I have a problem: media session
>expires after 45 seconds and encoder stops streaming. In some
>manuals I read that client should periodically send some command for
>its session (for example - OPTIONS request) - it will prevent the
>media session expiration.

Yes, but if your client is using RTCP - which it should - then this
will not be necessary, because periodic RTCP "RR" (Reception Report)
packets from the client will indicate liveness.

Are you creating a "RTCPInstance" for each "RTPSource" in your
client?  You should.  If you are calling
"MediaSubsession::initiate()", then this should be happening
automatically.