[Live-devel] Detecting network failure

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Mar 22 11:46:53 PDT 2010

>Previously I was watching RTPOverTCP_OK to determine when there was
>a failure in TCP streaming, but that's since been removed.  How can
>I determine when streaming has ceased because the network has failed
>(my internet connection goes down, for example)?

You would detect this the same way that you would detect it for a UDP
stream - e.g., because the server suddenly died.  (There's no need
for a special hack just for RTP-over-TCP streams.)

E.g., you can periodically (i.e., using
"TaskScheduler::scheduleDelayedTask()") check that new data keeps
arriving (into whatever object you're feeding from your "RTPSource"
subclass).  There's certainly no need to change any of the supplied
"LIVE555 Streaming Media" code for this.