[Live-devel] Detecting network failure

Jeremy Noring jnoring at logitech.com
Mon Mar 22 12:13:47 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>wrote:

> Previously I was watching RTPOverTCP_OK to determine when there was a
>> failure in TCP streaming, but that's since been removed.  How can I
>> determine when streaming has ceased because the network has failed (my
>> internet connection goes down, for example)?
>>

> You would detect this the same way that you would detect it for a UDP
> stream - e.g., because the server suddenly died.  (There's no need for a
> special hack just for RTP-over-TCP streams.)

Okay--what is this "same way" you speak of?  I've set breakpoints in every
callback I could find, after my doEventLoop() call, etc.  When I kill my
internet connection mid-stream, I hit none of these breakpoints.

I am using the DarwinInjector, if that changes anything.

> E.g., you can periodically (i.e., using
> "TaskScheduler::scheduleDelayedTask()") check that new data keeps arriving
> (into whatever object you're feeding from your "RTPSource" subclass).
>  There's certainly no need to change any of the supplied "LIVE555 Streaming
> Media" code for this.<http://lists.live555.com/mailman/listinfo/live-devel>

This is code that is pushing AV to a server online--unless I'm checking for
RTCP stuff, data shouldn't be "arriving," should it?