[Live-devel] Detecting network failure

Jeremy Noring jnoring at logitech.com
Wed Mar 24 13:14:03 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>wrote:

>  I've set breakpoints in every callback I could find, after my
> doEventLoop() call, etc.  When I kill my internet connection mid-stream, I
> hit none of these breakpoints.
>

> OK, it sounds like you're blocking in your RTSP client "ANNOUNCE"
> operation.  This will not be a problem in the upcoming "RTSPClient"
> restructuring (that will make all RTSP client operations asynchronous).

Any idea when this might happen, and do you need any help?  I definitely
need these changes, so anything I can do to expedite that will be done.

> OK, so you would need to check for RTCP packets - assuming that Darwin
> sends them; I don't know whether it does.  If so, you could do this using
> "RTCPInstance::setRRHandler()" (assuming that Darwin sends RTCP "RR" packets

I added a handler to check for RR reports, but unfortunately my server does
not send them.  I verified this on their forums as well (we're not using
Darwin, but the general idea is the same).

So, I guess my only option is to modify the library to do a per-RTPInterface
variable that tracks TCP failure.  Would you have any interest in this
change if I supplied a patch?

Thanks for your help.