[Live-devel] Detecting network failure

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Mar 24 14:45:48 PDT 2010

>OK, it sounds like you're blocking in your RTSP client "ANNOUNCE"
>operation.  This will not be a problem in the upcoming "RTSPClient"
>restructuring (that will make all RTSP client operations
>asynchronous).
>

>Any idea when this might happen

As a policy, I don't answer "are we there yet?"-type questions
(because if I did, I'd find myself wasting much of my time doing so).

>, and do you need any help?

No.

>OK, so you would need to check for RTCP packets - assuming that
>Darwin sends them; I don't know whether it does.  If so, you could
>do this using "RTCPInstance::setRRHandler()" (assuming that Darwin
>sends RTCP "RR" packets in response to "ANNOUNCE" data).
>

>I added a handler to check for RR reports, but unfortunately my
>server does not send them.  I verified this on their forums as well
>(we're not using Darwin, but the general idea is the same).

I should warn you that I consider the "DarwinInjector" stuff to be
deprecated technology, and although I'll probably be upgrading it to
do an asynchronous "ANNOUNCE", there's no guarantee that it will
continue to be supported in the future.  We have our own RTSP server
implementation, and people should really be using this, rather than
using this hack along with some other implementation.

>So, I guess my only option is to modify the library to do a
>per-RTPInterface variable that tracks TCP failure.  Would you have
>any interest in this change if I supplied a patch?

No, because that's not the way we're going to be handling RTSP client
operation failure in the future.  (Instead, this will get handled via
asynchronous callback functions.)