[Live-devel] Monochromatic MJPEG stream

Paulo Henrique Silva ph.silva at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 22:50:05 PDT 2010

Ross,

> Note that we have already (in December 2007) added the patch that Andrey
> Filippov described here:
> http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2007-November/007760.html This
> patch allows the server to specify the JPEG width and height in the SDP
> description, using the "a=x-dimensions:<width>,<height>". (These will then
> be used if the 'width' and 'height' fields in the JPEG header are 0.)

Yes, I'm aware of that. That was enough for the frame size problem.
Now we are facing a new issue.

> If that's not sufficient for your needs, and you instead (or also) want to
> use a non-standard JPEG type field, then this would constitute an extension
> (albeit a backwards-compatible one) to the RFC 2435 RTP payload format.  In
> that case, you should contact the IETF's AVT working group (avt at ietf.org),
> outlining your problem, and your proposed solution.  If the AVT working
> group adopts your proposed solution (this might require that you write an
> Internet Draft that describes it), then I would be happy to add a patch to
> our code to support it.

I see. I was just wondering if that extension could not be implemented
freely by custom needs. Per section 3.1.3 of the RFC 2435, we get this
about custom types:

"...
Types 128-255 are free to be dynamically defined by a
   session setup protocol (which is beyond the scope of this document).
"

The session setup protocol mentioned, is that SDP, right?!

Anyway, I'll ask AVT people about the issue.

Thanks a lot,

-- Paulo