[Live-devel] Windows Media Player?

Melms, Kenneth X. -ND Kenneth.X.Melms.-ND at espn.com
Mon Mar 29 13:51:34 PDT 2010

Right.

Thanks.

Without flame-baiting - Your answer seems either unusually acerbic, or naively short-sighted to me (perhaps both) and it didn't even answer my original question.

I didn't ask if Live555 would officially support it, I asked the developer's mailing list specifically if any other developers out there using the live555 server had found the time and energy to evaluate how to make WMP work - or could point me in the right direction.

You said you don't think it's right to support broken players, and on an idealistic level I totally agree, and if that was my question we could toast to the inanity of the massive corporate frauds who call themselves technology leaders.

But -- That wasn't my question, no?

My question was looking for anyone who has yet to try to manage this discrepancy between reality and idealism forced on us by the great big M$ corporation.

Unfortunately, as you note, I don't work for an open source community project where I can stand on my ideals and thumb my nose at those who can't.  I work in the real world of broken standards and large corporations using those fissures to vie for intellectual property rights while still trying to make my own very time-sensitive software projects work appropriately in the real world.  This project, regardless of my spite, ire, anger, ideals, or bloviated bluster - contains Windows Media Player as a base requirement - and no amount of pushback ill change that...
(oh, trust me .. I've tried..)

If I were to expand upon the base theme of your retort, you're saying that I could also take the time and effort to build a self-branded robust RTSP streaming server that supports both VLC and WMP - but not within my project's scoped timeframe - and thus I was looking for some help from the community.

It's possible to both push for the ideal while supporting reality...