[Live-devel] Interactive straming of H264 files to VLC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed May 12 17:56:34 PDT 2010

>Hello, i am working on interactive streaming and i am using the live 555
>media library to deliver my packages encoded in x264 to a vlc client.
>
>In order to improve the performance of the interactive streaming i have to
>develop an adaptative algorithm based on the vlc player buffer size and i
>should be able to modify this buffer(make it shorter) size to achieve a
>faster response of the switching of the streams in the client size.
>
>Do you know if it is possible to define dynamically or statically from the
>server side, the size of the buffer of the client of the streaming?
>
>Is there any option through the rtp, rtcp or rtsp protocol?

Yes, you can use the RTCP-provided "jitter" statistic for this
purpose.  Note the "RTPReceptionStats" class.  To access this class,
see, for example, how "openRTSP" implements the "-Q" option.

To be honest, I'm not sure how you would use the "jitter" statistic
to calculate an estimate of the client's buffer size, but there's
probably information out there on the Internet about this...