[Live-devel] Jitter calculations

Alexandr Němec a.nemec at atlas.cz
Thu May 13 01:14:47 PDT 2010

Dear all,

I have a question regarding interarrival jitter calculations for RTP packets. In RTPSource.cpp only packets with different RTP timestamps are used for jitter calculations, so if two or more packets have the same RTP time stamp, only the first one is used for interarrival jitter calculation. Ok, this makes somehow sense to me, because a video frame is usually split into several RTP packets all having the same timestamp and since jitter calculations are time based, only the first packet (the first one that arrives) might be interesting for jitter calculation because the rest would reduce the jitter accuracy. But my problem is that the RFC clearly states that for jitter calculations all packets should be used even with these (and similar) side effects.

So, what is the standard compliant way of calculating the interarrival jitter for RTP packets?

Thanks for your help

Alex