[Live-devel] Ask to contribute to the team

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Nov 4 18:19:44 PDT 2010

Changes to the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" source code release
<http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/> are made only by Live
Networks, Inc.  However, we will always consider incorporating
bugfixes, patches, and other suggested improvements that are posted
on this mailing list.  (Several such changes are made to the code
each month, on average.)

However, suggestions of major, widespread changes to the code are
less likely to be adopted, because of the increased potential for
disruption (due to the unexpected introduction of new bugs).

We do plan to support IPv6 someday, but this will be done by
completely replacing the "Groupsock" interface (not just rewriting
it) with a new 'network packet' abstraction (treating incoming
network interfaces as 'framed sources' and outgoing network
interfaces as 'framed sinks'-  the same way we already treat RTP
media frames).  Then our code will be able to handle any network
interface, whether IPv4, IPv6, or synthetic (e.g., a simulated
network interface).

Unfortunately this will be a lot of work, and there's currently no ETA for it.