[Live-devel] Send/receive MPEG2 TS streams without RTP encapsulation

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Nov 8 15:01:34 PST 2010

>I'm developing a Live555-based client application that has to connect to a
>server that sends MPEG2 TS streams without RTP encapsulation (directly over
>UDP): is there a way to pass some configuration flag or similar to Live555
>classes to avoid getting data through RTP?

It's the server that decides what kind of stream it wants to send.
I.e., the server's SDP description for the stream - that it returns
whether or not the stream is sent via raw UDP, or via RTP.

Unfortunately, however, there's no standard for how a raw UDP stream
is described in SDP (in part because such streams are a bad idea;
e.g., with such a stream, you can't recover from misordered packets).
Nonetheless, our client code understands some common ways that a
server might describe such a stream, and handles it accordingly.

So, please let us know how your server describes such a stream.
E.g., please send us the output from running "openRTSP" to try to
play/record the stream.