[Live-devel] RTP timestamp changes when second client connected to same stream.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Nov 9 00:28:03 PST 2010

The conversion from presentation time to RTP timestamp (in the server
code), and from RTP timestamp to presentation time (in the client
code) happens automatically, and is not something that you should
concern yourself with.  As a (server or client) developer, you need
concern yourself only with presentation times.

>When secondary client connected to same stream I saw "jump" into RTP
>timestamp in first stream.

No, that doesn't happen.  What can happen, however, is that
presentation times - as seen by clients - may change abruptly shortly
after a stream starts to be received.  This is explained in the FAQ
(which you were asked to read before posting to the mailing list :-)

>What is reason for base timestamp use randomaly value and not real
>time stamp, created by gettimeofday()???

Because the RTP timestamp field is only 32 bits, which does not - by
itself - have enough resolution.  Instead, servers and clients use
64-bit "presentation times" (seconds+microseconds), which are aligned
with the 'wall clock' time generated by "gettimeofday()".

This is explained in the RTP/RTCP specification (RFC 3550).