[Live-devel] Streaming H264: quality issue

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 10 07:39:35 PST 2010

>I then stream video.ts using live555, and play it using vlc.
>Although I do get something on VLC, the quality is very bad (I get
>good quality with MPEG2 videos).

What happens if you just *play* your "video.ts" file using VLC -
i.e., just play it as a local file, rather than streaming it?  If you
get the same video quaility problems when you (try to) play the file
locally, then the problem is with VLC, not our code, and you'll need
to ask about it on a VLC mailing list.

If, however, your problem occurs *only* when you stream your file to
VLC, then the problem is either (i) your network does not have enough
bandwidth, or (more likely) (ii) there is a problem with the PCR
timestamps in your TS file.

>Maybe using a TS container is not very optimal for streaming H264 ?
>I noticed that live555 also support m4e files, but could not find a
>way to generate such a file.

Irrelevant.  ".m4e" files are for (regular) MPEG-4 Elementary Stream
Video, not H.264 video.