[Live-devel] Questions about live555 media server

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 21:54:57 PST 2010

When I run the media server, it says it is unable to
determine my ip address:

$ live555MediaServer
LIVE555 Media Server
     version 0.42 (LIVE555 Streaming Media library version 2010.04.09).
Play streams from this server using the URL
rtsp://0.0.0.0:8554/<filename>
where <filename> is a file present in the current directory.
Each file's type is inferred from its name suffix:
     ".aac" => an AAC Audio (ADTS format) file
     ".amr" => an AMR Audio file
     ".m4e" => a MPEG-4 Video Elementary Stream file
     ".dv" => a DV Video file
     ".mp3" => a MPEG-1 or 2 Audio file
     ".mpg" => a MPEG-1 or 2 Program Stream (audio+video) file
     ".ts" => a MPEG Transport Stream file
         (a ".tsx" index file - if present - provides server 'trick
play' support)
     ".wav" => a WAV Audio file
See http://www.live555.com/mediaServer/ for additional documentation.
Unable to determine our source address: This computer has an invalid IP
address: 0x0
Unable to determine our source address: This computer has an invalid IP
address: 0x0
Unable to determine our source address: This computer has an invalid IP
address: 0x0
----------------------------

That is indeed strange. Can it not use at least 127.0.0.1 ?

Also, when I try to play a file:
$ ffplay
'rtsp://127.0.0.1:8554/f/tmp1/01-Invocation_(Sri_Rudram_Lagunyasam).wav'

the playback is so horribly slow, with long silence between each 2
seconds of sound,
that it makes me wonder if this stream server can even function across
the real
internet at reasonable speeds - when it does not even provide sufficient
speed
when it's client is on the same machine.

Am I doing something wrong here??

Also, how do I subscribe to the mailing list?

Best regards,

JD