[Live-devel] Indexing of TS files for non MPEG2 video streams

Sébastien RAILLARD (COEXSI) sr at coexsi.fr
Tue Oct 26 02:57:15 PDT 2010

Dear all,

This is my first post in this mailing-list, I hope this will be relevant.
I'm testing and evaluating the Live555 RTSP server for streaming TS files.

Of course, as I would like to use H.264/MPAG4-AVC video stream, I can't
index my TS files with the tool "MPEG2TransportStreamIndexer" provided in
the test programs, and I've find a lot of questions about indexing this kind
of video stream in the mailing-list archives.

So, I've developed a small application (in .Net, so running on Microsoft
Windows or it may also runs on Linux with Mono as no special library is
needed). You can find it here:
http://www.coexsi.fr/publications/live555-universal-indexer/ with some extra
explanations. It creates a .tsx index file that is compatible with the one
expected by the Live555 streaming server, but only indexing the starting of
the PES sections with video data.

Of course, this isn't as good as "MPEG2TransportStreamIndexer" that is
searching for I-Frame, but it works, even if sometimes it's a little bit
"blocky".

I hope it can help and I can help if someone want to port the VB.Net code to
C in order to make a Linux application.

Best regards,
Sebastien RAILLARD.