[Live-devel] RTSP video decoding - packets too small

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Sep 6 23:47:03 PDT 2010

>This video has (on purpose) no audio track, so I can focus on video
>stream only.
>Payload of value 32 is an MPEG1 or MPEG2 video

That's correct.

An important thing to note about the RTP payload format for MPEG-1 or
MPEG-2 video (defined in RFC 2250) is that the data units delivered
by RTP are not (necessarily) complete video frames (even though our
code refers to them as 'frames' - which is admittedly a bit
confusing).  For MPEG-1 or 2 video, the data units delivered by RTP -
i.e., delivered one-at-a-time by a "MPEG1or2VideoRTPSource" object -
can be MPEG headers, or one or more video 'slices', but need not be a
complete video frame.  (See RFC 2250 section 3.1 and Appendix 1.)
This allows a decoder to handle data loss without necessarily
discarding an entire video frame, but also means that it has to be a
little smarter about properly detecting when it has received enough
data to make up an entire frame.