[Live-devel] RTSP video decoding - packets too small

Guillaume Ferry ferry at bertin.fr
Mon Sep 6 23:55:55 PDT 2010

Le 07/09/2010 08:47, Ross Finlayson a écrit :
>> This video has (on purpose) no audio track, so I can focus on video
>> stream only.
>> Payload of value 32 is an MPEG1 or MPEG2 video
>
> That's correct.
>
> An important thing to note about the RTP payload format for MPEG-1 or
> MPEG-2 video (defined in RFC 2250) is that the data units delivered by
> RTP are not (necessarily) complete video frames (even though our code
> refers to them as 'frames' - which is admittedly a bit confusing).
> For MPEG-1 or 2 video, the data units delivered by RTP - i.e.,
> delivered one-at-a-time by a "MPEG1or2VideoRTPSource" object - can be
> MPEG headers, or one or more video 'slices', but need not be a
> complete video frame.  (See RFC 2250 section 3.1 and Appendix 1.) This
> allows a decoder to handle data loss without necessarily discarding an
> entire video frame, but also means that it has to be a little smarter
> about properly detecting when it has received enough data to make up
> an entire frame.
Yes, and I have been confused by the frame naming, especially since it
worked just fine with audio files !
I'll dive a little deeper into libav* code, I think my solution lies by
there :)

Thanks for your help Ross.

Best regards,
Guillaume.

PS : by the way, thanks for the asynchronous API, it was really a key
feature I missed.

--
Guillaume FERRY
Bertin Technologies