[Live-devel] Streaming h264 MPEG-2 TS

Oshi Keren-Zur oshikztrego at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 7 08:05:25 PDT 2010

Hi,
We are developing a linux based embedded device which functions as a streaming server.
The device has a video encoder which produces h264 MPEG-4 Elementary Stream, Audio encoder, and closed caption source.
Our project started off with the requirement to stream the Video by RTP. We used liveMedia for this.

As the project evolved additional requirements/limitations were added:
1. Offline streaming of previously captured data with trick-play
2. The Streaming client can only play MPEG-2 ts.

After some research regarding extending our use of liveMedia to satisfy these requirements,
We reached the conclusion that using liveMedia as it is currently implemented will be difficult since

1. Multiplexing of h.264, audio and closed captions to an MPEG-2 ts is not supported
2. Indexing of h264 video for trick play is not supported.

Is our conclusion correct? If not, we would appreciate some guidance on how to solve the above problems.
Otherwise, is there some other tool/library that can perform this?

Thanks,
Oshi