[Live-devel] Graceful handling of socket error

John Tam jtam at ivcco.com
Wed Sep 8 21:02:37 PDT 2010

Ross,

To answer your earlier question, I get error code 10038 on Windows, and I suppose 10054 is very possible.

I agree a hook like a virtual function in the UsageEnvironment is a good solution.  And I want to add to the requirement that it could have some mechanism to communicate where the source [code] of failure since it might also be replacing other abort() calls in the liveMedia library.  As for handling the socket error in question, there will be much work to identify the type of [client or server] session and perform the appropriate cleanup.

Regards,
John Tam

寄件者: live-devel-bounces at ns.live555.com [live-devel-bounces at ns.live555.com] 代表 Ross Finlayson [finlayson at live555.com]
寄件日期: Wednesday, 8 September, 2010 19:43
收件者: LIVE555 Streaming Media - development & use
主旨: Re: [Live-devel] Graceful handling of socket error

I pretty much agree with this.  What I'll probably do (in some future
release) is change the calls to "abort()" to some new virtual
function (of the "UsageEnvironment" class) called "internalError()"
(or something).  The default implementation of this might still be to
call "abort()", but developers can easily reimplent this in their own
"UsageEnvironment" subclass if they wish.

And I also agree with you about C++ exceptions.  (They do exist in a
couple of places in the code (to help implement byte-stream parsing),
but I'd like to get rid of them someday.)