[Live-devel] Support for the "LIVE555 Streaming Media"

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Sep 14 01:15:54 PDT 2010

>I am trying to play video on mobile device mentioned above using
>Live 555 server. However with stream server that supports RTSP and
>HTTP protocol, video is played well but not on Live 555 server (I am
>getting "format not supported" error message).
>

>I am guessing Live 555 server only supports RTSP protocol (so called
>complete RTSP) thus video is not displayed on these devices.

Our RTSP server implementation (including the "LIVE555 Media Server"
product) currently supports standard RTSP/RTP (including both
RTP-over-UDP and RTP-over-TCP), but does not (yet) support Apple's
RTSP/RTP-over-HTTP tunneling protocol.

However, if your RTSP client (mobile phone application) supports
standard RTSP/RTP (over UDP or TCP), then it should be able to work
with the "LIVE555 Media Server", provided that there is not a
firewall inbetween that is blocking port 8554 (or port 554 if the
server is run as 'root').