[Live-devel] Many multicast sources with same port problem

Zdenek Bouresh zdenek at next-stream.com
Sun Sep 19 04:43:02 PDT 2010

Hi Ross,
thank you for this nice library.
I am very new to C++, but thanks to your GAQ and mailing list I was able to
put together an application that receives from many live sources, reuses
first source and streams unicast on demand to many clients. I even got myslq
integrated and get the list of sources from database. Great!
So far so good.

One problem that I spent a lot of time to debug is if multicast sources have
the same port. In this case when I open different sources they act strangely
and start overlapping, switching randomly source , even if the client stays
on the exact same connection. He gets many sources switched to him in the
UDP stream. (input is mixed up, affecting output, no matter if reuse or not)

Then I found somewhere in this list you mentioning that this is a big on
some Linux flavors, and we should use different ports to avoid.
Problem is I cannot use different ports, I have 100+ multicast sources, all
with same port but different address. And in theory its a different source
address, port should not matter or mix right ?

Also I have used many other utilities, on the same systems and they don't
have this "big" or behavior, hence I don't believe its an OS bug, since I
have tried on a number of Linux flavors, including the latest releases.
If all other software works, my only guess is that it has be a problem in
the groupsock. I really need a way around this.
Your thoughts ?

P.S
Also how do we get around the 16 simultaneous connections limit problem.
I know this is an os setting (for the max open file descriptors???) , but is
there a code or method we can use from within the library or application to
ensure we set it high like 1024 or something ?
Thanks You

Help greatly appreciated  and please excuse me if this has been discussed
or solved elsewhere, I really looked and searched and read the whole mailing
list from day one.

Zed