[Live-devel] Many multicast sources with same port problem

Zdenek Bouresh zdenek at next-stream.com
Sun Sep 19 06:57:35 PDT 2010

Thanks Ross,
I will try freeBSD and report back.

The part that I don't get is how do other apps don't get this problem on the
same OS with the same input streams.
239.255.1.1:22334
239.255.1.2:22334
239.255.1.3:22334

All are recognized as different sources, since the combination of multicast
IP and port is unique.
They all subscribe to all addresses, but when reading the requested socket,
they read the one selected on the port, not the others.

>From what I understand you're saying that when live555 is requested to read
on port 22334 of some source, traffic there is coming from all sources and
not just the requested.

Again, I dont get it, how do other apps work if this be the case.
Its this that leads me to believe that even if there is an OS problem, there
is some way around it in code.

Thanks again,
Appreciate your time.
I will try freeBSD.

Zed.

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>wrote:

> If your application is receiving - on a socket - traffic that was sent to a
> multicast address that that socket did not subscribe to, then that is
> definitely a problem with the operating system, not with your application,
> and not with our libraries.
>
> Because you say that you are unwilling to change your operating system[*],
> and because you say that you can't stop your incoming traffic (for different
> multicast addresses) from using distinct port numbers, then there's no help
> that I can give you.  Sorry.
>
> [*] Note that FreeBSD - as far as I can tell - does not appear to have this
> problem.  If I were you, I'd try using FreeBSD instead of Linux.
> --
>
> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/

Zdenek Bouresh
NextStream LTD.

The information contained within this email transmission and any attachments
is confidential and intended solely for the attention and use of the named
individual addressee(s) or entity. It may not be legally revealed or be
disclosed to any other person or third party without the express authority
(prior written approval) of NextStream LTD and/or the original recipient, or
the intended recipients, or both. If you are not the intended recipient, you
must not disclose, copy, distribute, print, rely on or retain this message
or any part of it. The information contained within is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by reply,
and delete this message from your email system(s). Any hard copies must also
be destroyed.