[Live-devel] Bug in recent liveMedia affecting VLC

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Wed Sep 22 01:08:37 PDT 2010

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 01:51:09 -0600, Ross Finlayson wrote
> No, this is a bug in the RTSP server (webcam); not a bug in our code.
> The problem is the parameter field
> 	port=5000
> This is nonstandard.  The RTSP specification (RFC 2326, section
> 12.39) clearly states that the "port=" parameter (for multicast
> streams) should be specified as a range - e.g., "port=5000-5001".

Well, a few lines below this, the transport header "grammar" specifies:

";" "port" "=" port [ "-" port ]

making the second port number clearly optional :-)

Webcams typically only send media without RTCP, so this makes a lot of sense.

And as usual, being liberal in what you accept is good thing.

    With kind regards,

          M.