[Live-devel] Bug in recent liveMedia affecting VLC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Sep 22 03:18:59 PDT 2010

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 01:51:09 -0600, Ross Finlayson wrote
>>  No, this is a bug in the RTSP server (webcam); not a bug in our code.
>>  The problem is the parameter field
>>	port=5000
>>  This is nonstandard.  The RTSP specification (RFC 2326, section
>>  12.39) clearly states that the "port=" parameter (for multicast
>>  streams) should be specified as a range - e.g., "port=5000-5001".
>
>Well, a few lines below this, the transport header "grammar" specifies:
>
>";" "port" "=" port [ "-" port ]
>
>making the second port number clearly optional :-)

OK, the specification is ambiguous here.

>Webcams typically only send media without RTCP

No, that's not true.  (By the way, RTCP is a mandatory part of the
RTP/RTCP specification; any server (or client) that does not
implement RTCP is non-standard.)

>And as usual, being liberal in what you accept is good thing.

Yes, and for this reason (especially given the ambiguity in the RTSP
specification), I have now installed a new version (2010.09.22) that
will accept both kinds of "port=" parameter.