[Live-devel] VLC does not display any video when streaming with testMPEG4VideoStreamer

Mehran Ansari mehran at stretchinc.com
Wed Sep 29 08:35:43 PDT 2010

Thanks for the response. I got latest version (2010.09.25) and built server testMPEG4VideoStreamer in Linux and the openRTSP in both Linux and Windows.

After executing testMPEG4VideoStreamer.exe in Linux I still could not see any video from VLC in Windows. I then ran openRTSP from Windows. The program crashed in GroupScokHelper.cpp line 635 due to the fact that ctime() returned NULL. I then commented out processing of string time which causes the time string to be NULL and ran opeRTSP in windows. Now, the program does not crash but I still get a file with only 29 bytes in it. Then I realized the problem maybe with the firewall in Windows. After I added openRTSP and VLC to the exception tab of Windows Firewall. I was able to receive video frames by openRTSP but VLC only shows one frame and then stops.

My question is that:

1) why does ctime() usage in openRTSP.exe in Windows returns NULL which causes the crash? I see that openRTSP has its own implementation of getting time of the day.
2) Is there any way to stream behind the Firewall?
3) Is there any trick in VLC that would allow me to see video streams? NOTE: Now openRTSP receives and saves all of the  video frames streamed.