[Live-devel] VLC does not display any video when streaming with testMPEG4VideoStreamer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Sep 29 15:22:24 PDT 2010

>Thanks for the response. I got latest version (2010.09.25) and built
>server testMPEG4VideoStreamer in Linux and the openRTSP in both
>Linux and Windows.
>
>After executing testMPEG4VideoStreamer.exe in Linux I still could
>not see any video from VLC in Windows. I then ran openRTSP from
>Windows.

That's strange.  I successfully tested testMPEG4VideoStreamer and VLC
(version 1.1.3) on Mac OS X (with both running on the same machine,
though it would also have worked over a (multicast-capable) network).

In any case, VLC is not our software, so if you see any problems with
VLC - but not with "openRTSP" (our own RTSP/RTP client) running on
the *same* computer - then you should report it to a VLC mailing list
instead.

>  The program crashed in GroupScokHelper.cpp line 635 due to the fact
>that ctime() returned NULL

This is the problem that you should address first.  I have never
heard of anyone else encountering this problem before, so I suspect
that you may have a problem with some binaries being out of date.  I
suggest removing *all* LIVE555 binary files, and compiling linking
everything from scratch.

In any case, I suggest doing your testing with Linux first (i.e.,
with "testMPEG4VideoStreamer" and "openRTSP"), as Linux software is
easier to build then Windows.  In particular, I suggest testing in
the following order:
1/ "testMPEG4VideoStreamer" running on a Linux computer; "openRTSP"
running on the same Linux computer.
2/ "testMPEG4VideoStreamer" running on a Linux computer; "openRTSP"
running on a different Linux computer (but on the same
multicast-connected network).
3/ "testMPEG4VideoStreamer" running on a Linux computer; "openRTSP"
running on a Windows computer (on the same multicast-connected
network).
4/ "testMPEG4VideoStreamer" running on a Linux computer; "VLC"
running on a Windows computer (on the same multicast-connected
network).

If 1/ through 3/ work OK, but not 4/, then you have a problem with
VLC (and thus not a problem for this mailing list).  However, in this
case I would also test VLC running on a Mac OS X computer, as that
works OK for me.