[Live-devel] Frame -- as used in the live555 code, is this a 'video' frame?

John Clark jeclark2006 at aim.com
Thu Aug 11 10:06:41 PDT 2011

I am developing a package to use FEC code on video streams. Previously I was just applying the FEC code to any packet that was coming from a camera.
However, in looking at the live555 code, it seems that, for example, an RTP stream is received then video data extracted in terms of 'frames', It in fact would be
beneficial to apply FEC on a 'frame' bases rather than just arbitrary packets.

The question I have is are these codec frames such as I-frames, and P-frames and the like? If so, what part of the code detects what type of frame, if there
is any frame type detection.

While this would probably be clear with some amount of study of the code, if someone could give a brief over view, and pointers to specific code chunks
I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
John Clark.