[Live-devel] Streaming from client to server

Tom Aylesworth taylesworth at realitymobile.com
Wed Aug 24 16:07:24 PDT 2011

I'm new to Live555 but hope to be able to use it as the basis for an RTSP client.  Viewing a stream from our server using Live555 is very straightforward, thanks to the sample code.  But I'd also like to be able to send a stream to the server.  Our server is expecting an ANNOUNCE, followed by a SETUP, and then a RECORD to start receiving the stream from the client.

I'm able to create an SDP, send it with an ANNOUNCE (using RTSPClient::sendAnnounceCommand), and then send SETUP and RECORD commands.  But I'm unsure of the best way to set up the source for streaming the data.

RTSPClient wants a MediaSubsession which appears to be designed for only receiving a stream.  I can't find a way to attach my own custom source to a MediaSubsession; nor can I see a way to use a ServerMediaSubsession with an RTSPClient.  Am I missing something, or is this correct?

If it is correct, does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to do what I want?  I'm thinking of subclassing RTSPClient to either allow me to use a ServerMediaSubsession or a new MediaSubsession class.  Does that seem like a reasonable approach?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas Aylesworth