[Live-devel] Streaming from client to server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Aug 24 21:27:49 PDT 2011

> I'm new to Live555 but hope to be able to use it as the basis for an RTSP client.  Viewing a stream from our server using Live555 is very straightforward, thanks to the sample code.  But I'd also like to be able to send a stream to the server.

Unfortunately this is something that hasn't been fully standardized, and is (IMHO) not a particularly good idea anyway.  (IMHO, it's better for the server to 'pull' its input data from a data source, rather than having a data source 'push' the input data to the server.)

However, we do have some legacy code in the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" source code that supports this 'push' model for one particular case: Streaming to Apple 'Darwin Streaming Servers'.  Although we no longer support this code, you might find it useful.  Note the "DarwinInjector" class, and the demo applications "testMPEG1or2AudioVideoToDarwin" and "testMPEG4VideoToDarwin", that illustrates how to use the "DarwinInjector" class.